There can’t be a blog about loving the UGA Grad school without talking about Athens! The best college town, it has a ton to offer, a deep history, and makes for a beautiful home.
With a population of just over 100,000 and also known as “the Classic City,” Athens is as much UGA as UGA is Athens. Whether you are looking for a night out on the town, theater, art, shopping, or just a bite to eat, Athens has it.
A few notable places are:
- The Butts-Mehre Heritage Museum with memorabilia from UGA’s athletic history
- The State Botanical Garden, with over 300 acres of forested trails and specialized gardens
- The restored Morton Theatre, which was America’s first African-American built, owned and operated vaudeville theatre
- The Double Barreled Cannon, a one of a kind Civil War relic
- The Tree That Owns Itself, a tree that legally owns itself and all the land within 8 feet around it
- AthFest, a nonproft annual music and arts festival downtown
- The Twilight Series, a professional bike race downtown
- The 40-Watt
- The Globe, one of Athens’ most reputable bars (ranked on Esquire‘s “Best Bars in America” list)
Far from the only fun things you find in Athens, if you have favorites feel free to share with us!